It may only be the second weekend in April, but a busy week lies ahead for short track racing fans throughout the country. We’ve hand-picked a list of what we feel are the 10 must-see events of the weekend across the United States of America in this week’s 10 to Attend.
1. Icebreaker at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park (CT) – If you like to watch a variety of race cars, Thompson will be the place to be this weekend. The 43rd annual Icebreaker, headlined by the 150-lap race for the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour, will also feature PASS North Super Late Models, NEMA Midgets and a variety of NASCAR Whelen All-American Series divisions.
2. North/South Super Late Model Challenge at Nashville (TN) – There will be no lack of excitement when Super Late Models from the Southern Super Series and ARCA/CRA Super Series arrive at Fairgrounds Speedway Nashville (TN) this weekend. Drivers will have 100 laps to settle the North vs. South battle on Saturday afternoon.
3. Hard Clay Open at Orange County Fair Speedway (NY) – “Not all $5,000-to-win races are created equal.” That was the headline of a recent Short Track Super Series press release regarding Sunday’s Hard Clay Open. With big bucks on the line throughout the field, the best in Dirt Modified racing are expected to show up.
4. Icebreaker 100 at Dells Raceway Park (WI) – For the second straight year, a 100-lap Super Late Model race at Dells Raceway Park kicks off the 2017 Wisconsin racing season. A stout field of over 30 SLM drivers including Ty Majeski are expected to battle for the win on Sunday.
5. Apple Cup 150 at Yakima Speedway (WA) – It’s one of the Northwest region’s biggest Super Late Model events of the year. The Apple Cup 150 on Saturday afternoon will see the region’s best SLM drivers show up to Yakima Speedway to battle for early-season bragging rights.
6. Southern Modified Racing Series at Southern National Motorsports Park (NC) – The Southern Modified Racing Series will take their exciting ground-pounding Modified action to the highbanks of Southern National on Saturday.
7. NASCAR K&N Pro Series East at Greenville Pickens Speedway (SC) – NASCAR’s top development series makes its way to the tough confines of Greenville Pickens on Saturday. Strategy is always a major factor in the 150-lap race, so keep an eye on how things end up.
8. Modified Season Opener at Mahoning Valley (PA) – One of the most exciting tracks in the Northeast, Mahoning Valley Speedway, kicks off its 2017 season Saturday night with a full slate of racing.
9. Late Model Stock Twin Features at South Boston Speedway (VA) – Did you miss the first race on the new racing surface at South Boston? If so, you have another chance to check out twin Late Model races this Saturday night.
10. NSTA Top Speed Modifieds at Anderson Speedway (IN) – The NSTA Top Speed Modifieds head to Indiana’s bullring Saturday for their second race of 2017.
-Text By Speed51.com Staff – Photo credit: Speed51.com/Rick Ibsen