Short track action around the country is finally beginning to heat up. Late Models, Modifieds, dirt and pavement action is all over. We picked out the 10 biggest events taking place this weekend that you should go to if you are having short track racing withdrawals.
- 41st Annual Rattler 250 at South Alabama Speedway (AL) – The Southern Super Series kicks off its season with one of its biggest races. It draws names from all over the country like Bubba Pollard, Ty Majeski and Harrison Burton. This is a can’t-miss event for Super Late Model fans.
- NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour at Myrtle Beach Speedway (SC) – The newly unified NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour starts its season this weekend with its first trip to the challenging 5/8-mile oval of Myrtle Beach Speedway. A strong car count is expected, so if you’re a Modified fan from up north you should come south to the beach to see some racing.
- The Baby Rattler 125 at South Alabama Speedway (AL) – The Pro Late Models get their chance in the limelight of Alabama on Saturday night in what has become a wild 125-lap event the past few years. Who can forget last year’s dust-up between Bubba Pollard and Justin South? If you’re looking for moments like that, South Alabama is the place to be.
- Southern Modified Racing Series at Caraway Speedway (NC) – This weekend is perfect for Modified racing fans. The season opener for the SMRS is on Sunday at Sophia, North Carolina’s Caraway Speedway. A healthy car count with teams and fans making a little detour on their way home from Myrtle Beach.
- NASCAR K&N Pro Series West at Tucson Speedway (AZ) – NASCAR’s top developmental series in the west starts its 2017 campaign with a stop at the always challenging Tucson Speedway on Saturday night.
- Southeast Limited Late Model Series at Greenville Pickens Speedway (SC) – There’s not much Late Model racing taking place in the Carolinas this weekend, so if you’re looking for some Late Model action, Greenville Pickens is your track on Saturday.
- Pacific Challenge Series at Madera Speedway (CA) – The Pacific Challenge Series kicks off its 2017 season this Saturday at Madera Speedway in California.
- World of Outlaws Sprint Cars (CA) – "The Greatest Show on Dirt" hits California for the first time this season with a Friday-Saturday doubleheader at Thunderbowl Raceway.
- Southeast Dirt Modified Series at County Line Raceway (NC) – The UMP-style dirt Modifieds of the Southeast Dirt Modified Series open their season in North Carolina on Saturday at County Line Raceway.
- Lucas Oil ASCS Spring Nationals at Devil’s Bowl Speedway (TX) – The premier 360 winged Sprint Car touring series in America kicks off its 2017 season at the legendary Devil’s Bowl Speedway with the 44th Annual Spring Nationals.
-By Rob Blount, Speed51.com Southeast Editor - Twitter: @RobBlount
-Photo Credit: Speed51.com