With the short track racing calendar hitting its stride this weekend, it’s time to bring back one of Speed51.com’s most popular weekly features. Today, we bring back “10 to Attend” and give you a list of the top 10 short track races to attend this weekend.
1) Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown at Langley Speedway (VA) – The Denny Hamlin Short Track Showdown returns Thursday night after a couple of years off. The race will be held at Virginia’s Langley Speedway. Hamlin himself and former Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series champion Kyle Busch will be competing in Late Model Stock Cars along with some of the discipline’s biggest names.
2) Battle of the Bay at Georgetown Speedway (DE) – Big Block Dirt Modifieds will rumble to life at Georgetown Speedway on Thursday night with a 30-lap, $6,000-to-win show. The Modifieds will be joined by the RUSH Dirt Late Model Series. Big car counts are expected for both divisions, so it should be quite the show.
3) Carolina Clash Skyler Trull Memorial at Carolina Speedway (NC) – What was initially scheduled to be the season opener for the Carolina Clash Super Late Models is now the third race of the 2018 season on Friday night at Gastonia’s Carolina Speedway. Racing kicks off at 8 p.m. ET.
4) Hayes Jewelers 200 Season-Opener at Bowman Gray Stadium (NC) – The 70th season of racing at the “Madhouse” kicks off on Saturday night with a 200-lap race for the ground-pounding Modifieds. Arrive early because it’s expected to be a packed house at the 15,000-seat stadium.
5) CARS Tour Mid-Atlantic Classic at Orange County Speedway (NC) – It’s a Super Late Model/Late Model Stock Car doubleheader for the CARS Tour this weekend at one of the series’ favorite tracks. Both divisions will take to the high-banked 3/8-mile oval in Rougemont, North Carolina on Saturday. Both divisions will employ CARS Tour’s “stage racing” format.
6) Show Me the Money Series at Montgomery Motor Speedway (AL) – The premier Pro Late Model division in the Southeast returns to action for 100 laps of action around the big half-mile oval in Alabama’s capital city. Teenager Giovanni Bromante scored the victory in the season-opener earlier this year.
7) Icebreaker at Dells Raceway Park (WI) – Wisconsin’s Dells Raceway Park kicks off racing action for the 2018 season on Sunday afternoon. The race was originally scheduled to run on April 8. Over 35 Super Late Models are expected to enter the 100-lap race.
8) PASS North at Oxford Plains Speedway (ME) – The second race for the Pro All Stars Series (PASS) North will finally see the green flag on Sunday afternoon at Oxford Plains Speedway, the home of the Oxford 250. The event was washed out twice last weekend, but this weekend looks much better for the Super Late Models of the north.
9) ARCA Racing Series at Salem Speedway (IN) – After a thrilling short track event at Fairgrounds Speedway Nashville about two weeks ago, the ARCA Racing Series is back on another short track this weekend, this time at Indiana’s Salem Speedway. Zane Smith won in Nashville and is hoping to make it two-in-a-row on Sunday.
10) FUEL Racing Series at Fayetteville Motor Speedway (NC) – Brandon Watkins dominated the FUEL Racing Series opener at Cherokee Speedway (SC) last weekend. He’s looking to go back-t0-back on Saturday night at North Carolina’s Fayetteville Motor Speedway, just off of I-95.
-By Rob Blount, Speed51.com Associate Editor – Twitter: @RobBlount
-Photo credit: Speed51.com / MoJo Photos