There’s plenty of big Short Track races happening all over the country. Whether it’s on dirt or asphalt, a Late Model or a Modified, it’s all happening this weekend. We did our best to narrow the list down to the 10 best for you in this week’s 10 to Attend.
1. Valley Star 300, Martinsville Speedway (VA) – It’s one of the nation’s most prestigious Late Model events, the Martinsville 300 for Late Model Stock Car competitors takes place on Sunday. A full field of Late Models are expected to battle on the paperclip with hopes of taking home the coveted grandfather clock.
2. Sunoco World Series, Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park (CT) – With 18 divisions on the card over the course of three days, the Sunoco World Series is a can’t-miss for the diehard racing fan. The American-Canadian Tour, ISMA Super Modifieds and Valenti Modified Racing Series all help lead into the big show, the 200-lap World Series for the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour on Sunday afternoon.
3. Dirt Track World Championships, Portsmouth Raceway Park (OH) – Bloomquist, Davenport and the rest of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series stars will battle in prelims on Friday night before the 36th Dirt Track World Championships on Saturday paying $100,000 to win.
4. PASS North Finale, Oxford Plains Speedway (ME) – The PASS North Super Late Models return to one of their home tracks for the final event of the season. A full field of cars are expected to qualify for the event as DJ Shaw looks to lock up his second series title.
5. NASCAR K&N West Finale/Pacific Challenge Series, All American Speedway (CA) – A doubleheader is on the card at All American Speedway with the K&N Stock Cars and PCS Late Models both in action. Todd Gilliland leads Ryan Partridge by 25 points entering the final event of the season for the K&N Pro Series West.
6. DIRTcar Fall Nationals, Brockville Speedway (ON) – The Super DIRTcar Series Big-Block Modifieds head north of the border for the 8th annual DIRTcar Fall Nationals. Carey Terrence bested Gary Tomkins in last year’s version of the race.
7. Lock N Load 200, Myrtle Beach Speedway (SC) – Two-hundred laps of racing are on tap for the Late Model Stock Cars in one of the final tests before the Myrtle Beach 400 in November.
Update: This event is no longer on the track’s schedule for this weekend.
8. Bahama Brackets, Rockford Speedway (IL) – Prize money and a trip for two to the Bahamas are on the line in the annual Bahama Brackets event at Rockford’s tight quarter-mile oval. The unique format sees a wide variety of cars compete in each race.
9. Carolina Clash, Carolina Speedway (NC) – A full program of racing during the King of the Carolinas Weekend will be highlighted by the $5,000-to-win Dirt Late Model race on Saturday.
10. King of the Green, Evergreen Raceway Park (PA) – Tour-Type Modifieds will pound the green at Evergreen on Sunday in this end-of-season event paying $4,000 to the winner.
-By Brandon Paul, Speed51.com Editor – Twitter: @Brandon_Paul51
-Photo Credit: Speed51.com/Rick Ibsen