From Modifieds to Late Models to Dirt Late Models, there’s plenty of great short track racing to witness throughout the Northeast region this weekend. We’ve put together 10 of most anticipated events of the weekend in the week’s “10 to Attend” on Speed51.com powered by JEGS.
1. The ground-pounding Modifieds will battle on the tight 1/3-mile bullring at Wall Stadium Speedway on Saturday in one of their biggest events of the season, the Woodys High Banks 105. Some of the best Modified drivers in the area including Jimmy Blewett, Anthony Sesely, Steven Reed and Eric Mauriello are expected to be in the pit area chasing the $5,105 top prize.
2. Wayne Helliwell, Jr., Joey Polewarczyk, Jr. and the rest of the American-Canadian Tour stars will head north of the border to Circuit Riverside Speedway (QC) on Saturday to challenge the Serie ACT stars. Alex Labbe, Dany Trepanier and a host of others will attempt to defend their home turf in the Can-Am 150.
3. Following a week off, the Valenti Modified Racing Series returns to action at Monadnock Speedway in Winchester, New Hampshire on Saturday. Teams will be racing for extra money as an additional $6,100 has been added to the purse for the Victor Johnson Memorial.
4. Fans wanting to check out the improvements at Unity Raceway (ME) can do so this Sunday afternoon for just $5. Fan Appreciation Day at the track will feature the Outlaw Super Series, as well as the track’s regular weekly divisions.
5. The final tune-up for the 42nd Annual Oxford 250 will take place this Saturday night at Oxford Plains Speedway as the Budweiser Super Late Models compete in their weekly 50-lap feature. With just over one week remaining until the $25,000-to-win Oxford 250, it wouldn’t be crazy to think that a few invaders may show up to test their cars on the 3/8-mile oval.
6. Series point leader Derek Griffith will lead the Granite State Pro Stock Series back to his home track of Hudson International Speedway (NH) on Sunday for the Hudson Hugger 100. Griffith took home one of his four victories this season in the Gate City Classic at Hudson on June 14. Former Oxford 250 winner Larry Gelinas has an average finish of 4.25 in four career starts at Hudson.
7. Just five points separate youngsters Reid Lanpher and Garrett Hall in the Pro Series standings at Beech Ridge Motor Speedway (ME) entering the track’s penultimate weekly racing event on Saturday. Not only is the track championship up for grabs in the final two events, but also the 2015 NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Maine state championship.
8. Shane Clanton, Josh Richards and the rest of the World of Outlaws Late Model Series stars will make their way to Pennsylvania’s Eriez Speedway on Sunday. Veteran Pennsylvania driver Chub Frank will be the hometown favorite, as he grew up racing at Eriez and his shop is located just one-hour from the race track.
9. Tour-Type Modifieds will return to the Riverhead Raceway (NY) bullring on Saturday night for another night of NASCAR Whelen All-American Series action. Ryan Preece picked up the win one week ago and will look to make it two-in-a-row while picking up valuable NWAAS points towards the national championship.
10. Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park (CT) will host a night of NASCAR Whelen All-American Series racing next Wednesday night. The track’s headline division, the Sunoco Modifieds, will be in the spotlight with twin 25-lap feature events. NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour driver Woody Pitkat leads fellow Tour competitor Ryan Preece by 26 points in the championship standings entering the night.
-By Brandon Paul, Speed51.com Editor – Twitter: @Brandon_Paul51
-Photo credit: Speed51.com