Labor Day marks the unofficial close to summer, but that doesn’t mean the racing season is coming to an end. If you’re in the Southeastern states this Labor Day weekend, there’s plenty of short track racing action to check out. We narrowed down the 10 best options in this week’s “10 to Attend.”
1. “America’s Most Famous Short Track” is set for one its biggest races of the year on Saturday, Sept. 5. Hickory Motor Speedway’s Bobby Isaac Memorial will go green on Saturday evening. The NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Late Model Stock Cars will race for 150 laps.
2. The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour is headed to Langley Speedway on Saturday night. With four races remaining on the schedule, eight drivers are separated by just 18 points as they battle for the championship. Each race is a can’t-miss event as the title comes down to the wire.
3. Myrtle Beach Speedway will have 80 laps of Late Model Thunder on Thursday, Sept. 3. It won’t be one race, though. The NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Late Model Stocks will do battle in two 40-lap races.
4. The Carolina Clash Dirt Late Models are taking on South Carolina’s Lancaster Speedway on Saturday night. That might be the place to be for some dirt-slinging action in the Carolinas.
5. The NASCAR Whelen All-American Series Late Model Stocks are in action at Virginia’s South Boston Speedway on Saturday night. They headline the night’s racing action with twin 75-lap features. Grab yourself a seat and a Bologna Burger and enjoy some Late Model racing in Virginia.
6. The Pro Late Model season is coming to a close at Alabama’s fast half-mile of Mobile International Speedway. Wayne Niedecken is carrying a comfortable lead in the points standings, but the race is sure to be a thriller.
7. On Friday night, North Carolina’s Ace Speedway will roar to life with the sound of Late Model thunder. The Late Model Stocks will race for 100 laps total on Friday in two 50-lap features.
8. Hickory Motor Speedway is in action twice this weekend. On Labor Day Monday, the KOMA Unwind Modified Madness Series will take on the famous race track for a 125-lap showdown.
9. The Southern National Bonus Series is in Tennessee on Sunday as they take on the dirt at the Tazewell Speedway.
10. It’s the Labor Day Showdown for the NWAAS Late Model Stocks at North Carolina’s Caraway Speedway on Monday. The Late Models will headline the card with twin 40-lap features on Monday.
-By Rob Blount, Speed51.com Northeast Editor – Twitter: @RobBlount
-Photo Credit: Speed51.com