As summer comes to a close, so too does many championship battles in the Midwest this week. If you’re a race fan in the Midwest there’s plenty of tracks and title fights to check out this Labor Day weekend. We’ve narrowed down the 10 best in our “10 to Attend.”
1. The Labor Day Weekend World Stock Car Festival hits the track at Winchester Speedway Saturday, Sunday and Monday featuring the ARCA/CRA Super Series, JEGS/CRA All-Star Tour, ICAR modifieds and CRA Street Stocks. Saturday serves as a practice day, with ARCA/CRA Super Series qualifying and the 100-lap JEGS/CRA All-Star Tour race highlighting action on Sunday and the ARCA/CRA Super Series taking to the track on Monday for the Winchester 100.
2. The ARCA Midwest Tour heads to Hawkeye Downs Speedway this Saturday. Some big names like Bubba Pollard and Dan Fredrickson are set to battle defending race winner and current Midwest Tour point leader Ty Majeski in Cedar Rapids, IA.
3. The TUNDRA Series travels to Golden Sands Speedway (WI) on Labor Day in a make-up date from a Memorial Day rain-out. With just two races left on the 2015 TUNDRA schedule, Ty Majeski holds a nine point lead over Dalton Zehr and a 40 point lead over Dan Lensing.
4. This Saturday is the Labor Day Championships at Columbus Motor Speedway, featuring a 50-lap NASCAR Late Model feature. Just eleven points separate the top three in the standings with the title on the line Saturday night.
5. The DuQuoin State Fair (IL) boasts some racing action this weekend. Sunday, the USAC Silver Crown and UMP Modified Stock Cars are on track and Monday it’s the ARCA Racing Series Southern Illinois 100.
6. Attica Speedway (OH) revs up Friday and Saturday with two big nights of racing. Friday the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series hits the track for a $10,000 to win pay day. Then Saturday it’s the UNOH All-Star Sprints dueling for $5,000.
7. Grundy County Speedway has a big weekend of racing on tap with a full race program Friday night, the racer’s reunion on Saturday and the 39th annual night of features on Sunday with 216 laps of racing, including the 61-lap Late Model Lee Schuler Memorial.
8. It’s championship night at Slinger Super Speedway and its a night fans have been waiting for. Dennis Prunty and Steve Apel have been battling all season long and this Sunday the title will be decided. Apel has won three of the last four at Slinger and leads Slinger Nationals Champions Prunty by five points heading into the final race.
9. Wisconsin International Raceway caps off its 2015 campaign this Thursday with championship night. Lowell Bennett owns a 35 point lead over Casey Johnson and Brett Piontek, who are tied for second.
10. Kalamazoo Speedway features the LKQ 100 this Saturday night, which is also championship night. Mark Shook holds just a nine point lead over Mike Brooks entering the final race of the season.
– By Jana Wimmer, Speed51.com Midwest Editor – Twitter: @JWimm22
-Photo Credit: Speed51.com