One of the biggest Street Stock races of the year will be held this weekend at Dillon Motor Speedway. We get you ready for the New Year’s Bash with 10 things to know about Sunday’s big race.
1) Gary Ledbetter, Jr. seeks his sixth win in this event and his third straight victory after he won again last January at Dillon. He has also finished in the top five in the two recent races he ran where he was not the winner.
2) Throwback paint schemes are a special part of the Street Stock class and you can expect to see a few vintage NASCAR Cup paint jobs. Maybe even a local driver will pay tribute to a local legend.
3) Fans who can’t make it to Dillon can watch the event live with a monthly or yearly subscription to Speed51.TV. Now is the perfect time to subscribe to Speed51.TV, ahead of an action-packed season of short track racing. Subscribers will gain access to over 100 live broadcasts and hundreds of on-demand videos, all part of the new, easy-to-use Speed51.TV streaming platform. – Click here to subscribe today.
4) The winner of the Street Stock New Year’s Bash event will pocket $2,500 for the victory.
5) Josh Way is making the 10-hour journey from Ohio to compete in this weekend’s New Year’s Bash.
6) The race will be live on Speed51.TV and also shown via a tape-delayed national broadcast on MAVTV, but the best way to see it is to come out to Dillon Motor Speedway to watch the first asphalt race of the year in the Carolinas.
7) Another person to keep an eye on this weekend is Frankie Kimmel. Kimmel, a former Street Stock winner at Rockingham, will be returning to the New Year’s Bash after a year away.
8) The Street Stock main event will be 111 laps this year. Last year, 31 cars made up the feature event.
9) The day will feature 291 laps, pending car counts. It will be a full day of action around the Dillon Motor Speedway. Make sure you are ready to see some racing come 2 p.m.
10) In the Challenger division, Ricky Locklair, Jr. is the way to go after he won last year at the New Year’s Bash. He bested a 28-car field for the win. He was also fourth in the Street Stock race and is a two-time winner of that event as well. He will be one to watch no matter what type of car he has to race.
Past New Year’s Bash Winners
2020 Gary Leadbetter Jr.
2019 Gary Leadbetter Jr.
2018 Ricky Locklair, Jr.
2017 Gary Leadbetter Jr.
2016 Ricky Locklair, Jr.
2015 Jeff Melton
2014 James Swan
2013 Gary Leadbetter Jr.
2012 Gary Leadbetter Jr.
2011 Kevin Benton
-Story by: Elgin Traylor, Speed51 Southeast Correspondent
-Photo credit: Speed51