The traditional kickoff to the New England racing season will be held this weekend at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park. Get ready for the Icebreaker in this edition of “10 Things to Know” on Speed51.
1) The event will now be a one-day event with all qualifying and feature races being held on Saturday. There will be an afternoon session that will begin at 12 p.m. and include the divisions originally scheduled for Saturday. Following the conclusion of the afternoon session, at approximately 5:30 p.m. the evening session will begin and include the races originally scheduled for Sunday.
2) Nearly 30 Modifieds are scheduled to be on hand at Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park (CT). The annual Ice Breaker race will be a 125-lap event for the Modifieds on Saturday night.
3) The PASS Super Late Models will be making their 17th points-paying appearance to Thompson this weekend. Ben Rowe is the only three-time Thompson winner. In fact, Rowe has eight top-five runs at Thompson in PASS and seven podium finishes.
4) Derek Griffith won the first two PASS National events to start the season at Hickory Motor Speedway. The Thompson race is not a PASS National event, but the 2018 race winner is seeking a strong start to the 2021 PASS North schedule.
5) The race weekend will feature 10 divisions and 425 laps of feature action.
6) The Outlaw Modified race will be the first of six total this season at Thompson, ending with the return of the Thompson 300 in October. Four other events are scheduled in between the Icebreaker and World Series. The additional race dates are Wednesday, June 16; Wednesday, July 7; Wednesday, August 11; and Wednesday, September 8.
7) PASS North is ready to kick off their 21st season in the Super Late Model world. In all, there have been 290 points-paying races and that number will top 300 this year. The schedule includes six visits to Oxford Plains Speedway, three at Seekonk and first-time stops at Hudson and Monadnock, among several other dates. In all, 19 potential dates await the series.
8) Ed Flemke won the first Icebreaker race for the Modifieds back in 1974. The 25-lap feature came down to a photo finish as Flemke beat out fellow Modified drivers Geoff Bodine.
9) Speed51.TV will be streaming all of the action from Thompson in 2021. Order a pay-per-view ticket to watch the Icebreaker action.
10) Many of the biggest names in Modified racing, including Doug Coby, Bobby Santos III, Jon McKennedy, Keith Rocco and more will be in action in the Outlaw Open Modified Series.
-Story by: Elgin Traylor, Speed51 Correspondent
-Photo credit: Speed51 / Rick Ibsen