WATCH LIVE: Coastal 200 at Wiscasset
1) Sunday’s Coastal 200 is a 200-lap race for Late Models. By our count, this will be the 16th time this race has been run; however, full records are incomplete. If you have any additional information on races, please feel free to share them with us by emailing [email protected]
2) It’s hard to pick a favorite for this weekend’s Coastal 200, but picking former winners is a smart bet. Ben Ashline, Andrew McLaughlin, Chris Thorn, and Josh St. Clair have all tasted victory in this event in the past.
3) The Costal 200 logo features a lighthouse on the logo as the state of Maine has nearly 70 lighthouses on its coast. The Kennebec River and Doubling Point lights are a few miles down the road from the speedway.
4) One driver has been first, fourth and second in the last three runnings of the Coastal 200. Andrew McLaughlin always seems to be in the mix in this event at Wiscasset Speedway. There is a good chance he will be there again on Sunday.
5) For the first time ever, Speed51.TV will be live on Sunday for the Coastal 200. Monthly and yearly subscribers will be able to watch the race beginning at 2 p.m. ET.
6) Wiscasset Speedway was opened in 1969 and the 3/8-mile race track has hosted some big events from NASCAR to countless Late Model touring series and big events. The Coastal 150 was first run in 1996 and was 50 laps shorter than the current distance. Scott Chubbuck won that first race.
7) For the older Maine race fans, the yellow No. 14 could only mean one thing: “Boss Hogg.” Dave St. Clair will be racing this weekend at the age of 73. Speed51 has the full story: https://speed51.com/73-year-
8) Ben Ashline is seeking his third-straight Coastal 200 win, a feat that has never been accomplished. Back in 2003, Scott Chubbuck entered the weekend at a chance of three in a row only to finish fourth after leading laps that day.
9) This is not the only live coverage you can expect to see this year from Wiscasset. A visit from the ground-pounding Modifieds of the Modified Racing Series will be broadcast live on July 31. On August 7, it will be a showcase of speed as the winged 350 SMAC Supermodifieds fly around Maine’s Fastest Oval. A pair of NEMA Midget events at the track on June 26 and August 21 will also be showcased on Speed51.TV. That will all lead into the Boss Hogg 150, featuring some of New England’s top Pro Stock/Super Late Model drivers, on September 5.
10) The pre-race entry list shows some 26 names that are planning to be there on Sunday afternoon. More could join them if they have a good night of racing on Friday or Saturday. The Coastal 200 is the big event of the weekend.
-Story by Elgin Traylor, Speed51 “Stat Boy”
-Photo credit: Wiscasset Speedway