One of the marquee Pro Late Model events of the season will be held this Saturday, March 6 at Montgomery Motor Speedway. We get you ready for the 57th Annual Alabama 200 with 10 things to know about the race.
1) Many heavy hitters are entered for the race and plan to be on hand for this Pro Late Model clash. Late Model veterans like Stephen Nasse and Kyle Plott will be in the mix with first-time Alabama 200 contender Johanna Long-Robbins, who of course is a former Snowball Derby winner, as well as Jett Noland who has logged several wins at New Smyrna.
2) Jake Garcia will be on hand attempting to win the Alabama 200 for a second-straight year. Last March he took the lead with eight laps to go and held on for the win.
3) The history of the Alabama 200 dates back into the 1960’s when guys like Red Farmer and Bobby Allison won the event to help start their careers in racing. In 1968 Richard Petty won the Alabama 200 from the pole which was one of his 16 wins that year.
4) Outlaw Late Model star Andy Bozell will be making the trip to Montgomery for the Modified race. Bozell is a multi-time track champion at Kalamazoo Speedway and is a four-time Kalamazoo Klash winner.
5) Alabama star Augie Grill will be racing in both the Modified and Pro Late Model races.
6) If you can’t make it Montgomery Motor Speedway this weekend for the races then Speed51.TV has you covered. Monthly and yearly subscribers will be able to watch the race with their subscription.
7) While last year’s triumph was the first win in the Alabama 200 for Jake Garcia, his crew chief Ricky Turner has actually won the race five times now with other drivers like Chase Elliott, Mason Massey and Anderson Bowen.
8) Speaking of five-time winners, Augie Grill is a five-time Alabama 200 winner and he wants to come back and win number six at his home track of Montgomery Motor Speedway. Grill won four consecutive Alabama 200’s from 2008 to 2011.
9) This will be the first race back at Montgomery for 2020 Show Me the Money Series champion Christopher Tullis. Some might have been surprised by his championship in 2020, but he’s led nine SMTMS races in his career, which puts him behind only Augie Grill and Casey Roderick.
10) The Alabama 200 is a 200-lap race for Pro Late Models. Also on the card is a 57-lap race for the Modifieds of Mayhem Tour.
-Story by: Elgin Traylor, Speed51 Southeast Correspondent